F21 System Wide Change: PrivateDevices=yes and PrivateNetwork=yes For Long-Running Services

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 19:57:10 UTC 2014

On 03/27/2014 01:49 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> == Detailed Description ==
>> When PrivateDevices=yes...
>> Furthermore, the
>> CAP_MKNOD capability is removed. Finally, the "devices" cgroup controller is
>> used to ensure that no access to device nodes except the listed ones is
>> possible.
>> When PrivateNetwork=yes ...
>>     4. This also disconnects the AF_UNIX abstract namespace
>>     5. This also disconnects the AF_NETLINK and AF_AUDIT socket families
> How much does this overlap existing SELinux policy?  Would it make
> sense to have both configured from a single source?  It seems to me
> that every inconsistency between the systemd unit file and the SELinux
> policy must be a bug; could we eliminate this class of bugs entirely,
> or if fully automated extraction of the information between the two
> data sets weren't feasible, would it make sense to have and regularly
> run tools that compare the two policies?
>     Mirek
It doesn't really overlap with SELinux, just adds another layer of
security.  And gives the administrator more flexibility on how he
configures his services.  I do not think there are two many confined
domains that need mknod, and most confined domains are not allowed to
look at many device nodes.  In a way this can eliminate SELinux avcs,
from apps just doing the equiv of ls -l /dev