Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part II, “What’s Happening?”)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Mar 30 15:00:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 01:11:58PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I promised a while ago that I would provide a text version of my talk at
> DevConf, for people who couldn't make it and because sitting through a video
> of me standing up there going on and on doesn't really make for good
> followup discussion.
>
> I posted a link to the first part last week:
>
> <http://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-present-and-future-a-fedora-next-2014-update-part-i-why/>
>
> and now, Part II:
>
> <http://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-present-and-future-a-fedora-next-2014-update-part-ii-whats-happening/>
>
> And as I said last week, I will take questions, comments, complaints, in any
> media including replies here, on the article, on the social media, or at any
> bar or coffee shop within walking distance of Boston's MBTA.

So first I'll say these are interesting articles, and I encourage
people to read them.

I work better when I see some examples of what this would mean in
practice.  Under Fedora.next, how & where would you see the following
being packaged?

 - libvirt

Big, with lots and lots of big dependencies, but for virtualization
it's pretty much the definition of a core, stable API.

 - virt-manager

An application written in Python, and therefore needing to be "above"
the stacks layer, I think?

 - VLC

Free software video player, but with a requirement (or at least can
use if available) proprietary / patented / ugly / semi-legal codecs.
Currently packaged in RPMFusion for reasons I'm not clear on.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW