Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part II, "What's Happening?")

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 13:29:14 UTC 2014

On 03/31/2014 01:00 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> Base is common platform for products but it does not mean everything has
> to be used by other products or everything has to follow base path (for
> example installer is part of Base as we agreed but it can diverge a lot
> over products, and even it would not be used in all products explicitely
> just to provide images - cloud). Of course if some technology gets
> obsoleted/deprecated by most of products, it means the time to deprecate
> it in Base comes (or change of the owner). So common sense, not exact
> numbers:).

You do realize that the size of the base needs to be bound to the lowest
common denominator between current and future multiple products to make
it this kind of proposal work now and in the future right?

That immediately binds it and limit it to the size of embedded (
Embedded --> Cloud/Containers --> Servers --> Workstation/Desktop/Laptop
whatever else )  to relevant packages for embedded within those 1806
components that make up the self hosting Fedora base since there seemed
there had been reached a perfectly logical consensus to limit what makes
up the baseWG from those self hosting 1806 component.

Nor can you introduce components to be shared among WG outside the self
hosting components of the baseWG and I'm quite frankly a bit stunned if
Philipp Knirsch and the rest of the baseWG agreed to do that since by
doing so they invalidate their own logical approach of building and
limit baseWG to self hosting components.

JBG