Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part II, “What’s Happening?”)

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Mar 31 14:17:18 UTC 2014

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> - VLC
>
> Free software video player, but with a requirement (or at least can
> use if available) proprietary / patented / ugly / semi-legal codecs.
> Currently packaged in RPMFusion for reasons I'm not clear on.

I've looked into this a bit, and discussed with other distro packagers and
vlc upstream.

VLC is fairly modular, and it's unencumbered bits could be brought to fedora
and the other stuff live in some -freeworld subpkg in rpmfusion.

Implementing this would be a bit of work, but worth it in my opinion.  I
haven't had much time to pursue implementing it myself unfortunately.  I
only wanted to highlight that bringing vlc to fedora is possible.

-- Rex