Incorrect order of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin in path

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sun May 4 16:11:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

Recently, the value of my PATH variable seems to be messed up:

> [asinha at ankur-laptop  ~]$ echo $PATH
> /usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/home/asinha/.local/bin:/home/asinha/bin

/usr/bin is supposed to come before /usr/sbin etc. This makes mock throw
an error:

> mock -r fedora-rawhide-x86_64 rebuild ./python-taskreport-1.2.1-1.fc20.src.rpm
>
> ERROR: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted
>
> ERROR: The most common cause for this error is trying to run /usr/sbin/mock as an unprivileged user.
> ERROR: Check your path to make sure that /usr/bin/ is listed before /usr/sbin, or manually run /usr/bin/mock to see if that fixes this problem.

Running /usr/bin/mock.. works, of course. I've checked the relevant
places, and everything seems to be in order. The EUID of my user is 1000
too, so there isn't a reason that /etc/profile should place the
directories incorrectly. Would anyone have an hints on correcting this?
There's nothing in my user's .bash_profile or .bashrc that modifies path
either.

I use byobu with a tmux backend, but I don't think that matters. I
opened a separate gnome-terminal without byobu and the EUID is correct
there too.

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,