Incorrect order of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin in path

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun May 4 21:58:19 UTC 2014

Am 04.05.2014 23:51, schrieb Björn Persson:
> Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> I don't know of any kind of standard that specifies either. Does
>>> Posix specify this for example? Does anyone have a link?
>>
>> normally no software should break independent of that
>> order because it finds the binary anyways in the path
>> and it is unlikely in a clean setup that the same
>> binary exists in both
>
> Right, and in the absence of a specified order in PATH it's a bug if
> anything depends on *any* particular order.
>
>> however, the semantics of /usr/sbin is to contain superuser
>> binaries which should not be overriden because a binary
>> with the same name exists in /usr/bin
>
> The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard says only that the sbin directories
> are for programs that only system administrators use, and justifies them
> with "a good partition between binaries that everyone uses and ones that
> are primarily used for administration tasks". The part about not
> overriding binaries is your own, personal opinion.

no, given that /usr/sbin/iptables is clearly a administrative
command and so there is no valid reason to seek for iptables
in /usr/bin/ nor have it as override is a logical conclusion

if you want to override things /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin
are your friends - however - back to topic:

"Incorrect order of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin in path" is plain wrong
and the PATH /usr/sbin:/usr/bin is in any case correct - period