kernel packaging split up landing in Rawhide

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Mon May 5 12:26:59 UTC 2014

On 04/29/2014 05:41 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As part of the F21 "Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud" Feature[1],
> I've committed and pushed the kernel packaging split up into
> kernel-core and kernel-drivers subpackages.  For those of you running
> rawhide, this really shouldn't be a major impact at all.  When you do
> a yum update, you will see "kernel", "kernel-core", and
> "kernel-drivers" packages being installed.  The end result should be
> in line with today's rawhide kernels.
>
> Note: Unless you're using a typical VM or Cloud image, don't uninstall
> the kernel or kernel-drivers packages.  The machine may boot with just
> kernel-core, but it will lack drivers for a significant portion of
> bare-metal hardware without kernel-drivers installed.
>
> Despite best efforts in testing, it's always possible a bug or two
> snuck through.  In the event that you do have an issue with this,
> please file a bug against the kernel package.
>
> josh
>
> [1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Kernel_Packaging_for_Cloud
I think you need a little work on this.  Ok, to update (install) a new
kernel you execute:
         yum  update  kernel
that same as it was previously.

BUT, if you want to remove that same kernel, for example doing:
         yum  remove  kernel-3.15.0-0.rc3.git5.3.fc21
will only remove the kernel package and not kernel-core and
kernel-modules.  Instead, you need to execute
         yum  remove kernel-core-3.15.0-0.rc3.git5.3.fc21
to get kernel, kernel-core, and kernel-modules removed.

I believe that for regular (non cloud usage) we should just need to deal
with the kernel package in both update and remove situations.

Gene