kernel packaging split up landing in Rawhide

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 5 12:31:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Gene Czarcinski <gczarcinski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/29/2014 05:41 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As part of the F21 "Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud" Feature[1],
>> I've committed and pushed the kernel packaging split up into
>> kernel-core and kernel-drivers subpackages.  For those of you running
>> rawhide, this really shouldn't be a major impact at all.  When you do
>> a yum update, you will see "kernel", "kernel-core", and
>> "kernel-drivers" packages being installed.  The end result should be
>> in line with today's rawhide kernels.
>>
>> Note: Unless you're using a typical VM or Cloud image, don't uninstall
>> the kernel or kernel-drivers packages.  The machine may boot with just
>> kernel-core, but it will lack drivers for a significant portion of
>> bare-metal hardware without kernel-drivers installed.
>>
>> Despite best efforts in testing, it's always possible a bug or two
>> snuck through.  In the event that you do have an issue with this,
>> please file a bug against the kernel package.
>>
>> josh
>>

>> [1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Kernel_Packaging_for_Cloud
>
> I think you need a little work on this.  Ok, to update (install) a new
> kernel you execute:
>         yum  update  kernel
> that same as it was previously.
>
> BUT, if you want to remove that same kernel, for example doing:
>         yum  remove  kernel-3.15.0-0.rc3.git5.3.fc21
> will only remove the kernel package and not kernel-core and kernel-modules.
> Instead, you need to execute
>         yum  remove kernel-core-3.15.0-0.rc3.git5.3.fc21
> to get kernel, kernel-core, and kernel-modules removed.
>

>From a kernel.spec standpoint, the only way I'm aware of making 'yum
remove kernel' remove the kernel, kernel-core, and kernel-modules
packages is to make kernel-core Requires: kernel.  If it did that,
then you couldn't just install kernel-core, which would defeat the
entire point of the Feature the Cloud people wanted.

> I believe that for regular (non cloud usage) we should just need to deal
> with the kernel package in both update and remove situations.

I would love to see patches that accomplish this.

josh