kernel packaging split up landing in Rawhide

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon May 5 12:36:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 08:26:59 -0400,
  Gene Czarcinski <gczarcinski at gmail.com> wrote:
>>[1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Kernel_Packaging_for_Cloud
>I think you need a little work on this.  Ok, to update (install) a new
>kernel you execute:
>        yum  update  kernel
>that same as it was previously.
>
>BUT, if you want to remove that same kernel, for example doing:
>        yum  remove  kernel-3.15.0-0.rc3.git5.3.fc21
>will only remove the kernel package and not kernel-core and
>kernel-modules.  Instead, you need to execute
>        yum  remove kernel-core-3.15.0-0.rc3.git5.3.fc21
>to get kernel, kernel-core, and kernel-modules removed.
>

>I believe that for regular (non cloud usage) we should just need to
>deal with the kernel package in both update and remove situations.

I don't think that can be made to work with dependencies. To work kernel-core
would need to depend on kernel, so that installing kernel-core would require
kernel which requires kernel-modules, which is a problem.

In most cases old kernels get removed by updates, so most people aren't
going to try to be removing specific old kernels by hand. For those that
do, using kernel-core instead of kernel isn't a big deal. The main thing
is that the change should be documented in the release notes (and perhaps
other places) to avoid confusion.