Incorrect order of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin in path

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Mon May 5 14:52:48 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> /usr/sbin is an invention of Linux.

Hmm, I think Solaris had it, and I know DEC Unix had it.

IIRC /sbin came about for static bins, but then also to move config
binaries out of /etc.  The bins not needed for early system startup
moved to /usr/sbin.  I don't recall anything in /usr/sbin ever being
static.  /usr/sbin also got other programs that had been in /usr/lib
(such as sendmail) when cleaning up.

> We really should get rid of the destinction, and make all of /bin,
> /sbin, /usr/sbin a symlink to /usr/bin, and then never bother again
> about $PATH orders and namespace collisions...

As I said before, there's still some consolehelper stuff that requires
entries in both /usr/bin and /usr/sbin to work.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>