first and only X needs to be on tty7

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon May 5 16:24:38 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-05 17:55 (GMT+0200) Lennart Poettering composed:

> On Fedora tty1 is the graphical login, since a long time.

I've managed to avoid that in order that my boot messages tail stays there
undisturbed until such time as I've run out of vttys and need to use a sixth, the way
I like it, same as last century. Change isn't always improvement.

>> > Hence if you want X
>> >to show up on session N, then you need to start it from ttyN... Note
>> >that only tty1-6 get logins by default, but you can configure that with
>> >NAutoVTs= in /etc/systemd/logind.conf.

>> That sounds like a method that will prevent a DM from running on the
>> same tty as startx would as a first and only X session, as if that
>> hasn't already happened. OT, reading that man page, is setting it 0
>> how to revert from auto spawning to keeping gettys running on all of
>> tty1-6 as before systemd existed?

> I cannot parse this.

There are two parts to it. WRT part 2, as I wrote, OT WRT thread, I looked at the
logind.conf man page section NAutoVTs= and was wondering if by setting it to 0 auto
spawning vts could be dispensed with entirely so that gettys could run there
continuously from the outset as they used to. Full screen sessions with bigger text
are good for the eyes, so I use them a lot. I have a problem understanding that man
page paragraph.

WRT part 1, I don't see from reading that man page how NAutoVTs= could do anything to
enable and/or further a first and only X session regardless how started to run
unconditionally on tty7.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/