Incorrect order of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin in path

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Tue May 6 14:37:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 04:11:50PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:

>      I think the annoying thing is if you're typing out a path that
>      includes
>      /usr/lib, you can't easily hit TAB to get in to lib. Â And that's
>      worth
>      fixing.
>
>    Oh my...
>    1) With the existence of /usr/lib{,64}, the additional existence of
>    /usr/libexec doesn't make any difference AFAICT.

Yeah, that's true.  The system in front of me is apparently still 32-bit.

>    2) Changing the file system hierarchy and repackaging dozens of
>    hundreds of packages to make tab completion, let alone tab completion
>    for files that users shouldn't ordinarily explicitly refer to, easier,
>    is not worth doing.

I agree with this.  We're talking about janitorial work here and just
generating a lot of change.  I'm not opposed to it if we were just something
we said, "hey, they next time you update your package, can you move these
files...." and then eventually libexec would just empty out.  Or not, I
really have no strong opinions either way.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team