DISTRIBUTION tag seems wrong

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed May 7 16:53:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, 7 May 2014 10:54:38 -0400
Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Not sure if this is bz worthy or just something to mention on a mail
> list. I was doing some experimenting on creating SWID tags out of the
> rpm database and noticed some inconsistencies. For example:
>
> # rpm -q --queryformat '%{DISTRIBUTION}\n' bash
> Fedora Project
> # rpm -q --queryformat '%{DISTRIBUTION}\n' xbmc
> Fedora 20
>
> Seems that rpmfusion has it right and the main Fedora build system is
> misconfigured.
rpmfusion has it wrong, they should be using rpmfusion.  koji sets the
distribution tag for everything that is built in the buildsys to be the
same. for fedora that is "Fedora Project" as that is who is building
and distributing the rpms

> Also...
>
> # rpm -q --queryformat '%{PACKAGER}\n' bash
> Fedora Project
> # rpm -q --queryformat '%{PACKAGER}\n' xbmc
> <http://free.rpmfusion.org/>
>
> Which is correct way to do it?
neither is wrong.

> # rpm -q --queryformat '%{DISTTAG}\n' bash
> (none)
> # rpm -q --queryformat '%{DISTTAG}\n' xbmc
> (none)
>
> You would think this would spit out f20. But it doesn't.

disttag is a macro defined at build time and is not something embedded
into the binary rpms.  I wouldn't expect it to be visible in the built
rpms.

Dennis