BerkeleyDB 6 symbol versioning and associated problems

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed May 7 18:55:22 UTC 2014

Hello,

> In short, if we introduce the downstream versioning, we will ship
> library with ABI incompatible with upstream ABI. If we won't,
> applications with modules/plugins (ie. Apache with mod_perl) that each
> use different version of the library may break due to double symbols
> (one from the v5 and other from v6, and ld would not know which symbol
> is which).
>
> I'd like to ask for suggestions on how to resolve this problem.

 <snip>

> As I stated above, I welcome any suggestions. I would also like to hear
> from someone responsible for the distro architecture which of the
> aforementioned issues is more painful for us, so we know which path to
> take if no complete solution is found.

In my personal opinion, keeping Fedora working at all is more important
than cross-distribution compatibility (which is desirable but not as
critical *to Fedora)*, so the former would be preferable.

Separately, please note today's FESCo request in
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1291#comment:4 .
    Mirek