making Ctrl-Alt-Bksp work

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed May 7 22:43:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 02:38:59PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-05-07 19:03 (GMT+0100) Sérgio Basto composed:
>
> >yes Ctrl-Alt-Bksp works and restart X , as Reindl Harald notice, I also have
>
> >Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,
>
> >cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
>
> >         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
> >         Option          "XkbLayout"     "pt"
> >         Option          "XkbOptions"    "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"
>
> >my video card is :
> >[    52.601] (II) intel(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: i965
>
> >"DontZoom" don't works , you are right
>
> Your (locale pt) and Reindl's (locale de) answers beg two questions:
>
> 1-why do 00-keyboard.conf for pt and de contain
> terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp, but for locale us it is absent?
>
> 2-what creates 00-keyboard.conf in the first place, since it doesn't
> get automatically recreated even by rebooting if deleted?

systemd-localed. This file is written when you change the locale, either
during install or later with localectl. It doesn't automatically get
restored when you delete it.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration
lists the magic command as:
   localectl set-x11-keymap "us" "" "" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

which communicates the new keymap to systemd-localed, which then writes out
the file.

but having just tested this on F20, just running "localectl set-keymap us"
also writes out the right configuration, including the terminate option. The
above is needed for custom x11 keymaps, but shouldn't be needed for normal
setup.

> re 2: Maybe your two installations have 00-keyboard.conf carried
> over from before xorg-x11-drv-keyboard was superceded by
> xorg-x11-drv-evdev, which on (re)installation does not create it if
> it does not exist?

neither the keyboard nor the evdev driver have anything to do with it. the
retirement of the keyboard driver should have no effect on anything newer
than, say, Fedora 12.

Zapping in the server works as a two-stage process. A key combination is
interpreted by a XKB as a Terminate_Server action. The server then
interprets that and terminates. With DontZap you only control the
second part, i.e. whether the server terminates when the action is triggered.
If you don't have the XKB setting, you can't trigger it in the first place.
And DontZap is only useful if you want to _prohibit_ zapping completely. It
just makes Terminate_Server do nothing.

For your use-case, forget about DontZap, it has no effect. I'm the
maintainer for these parts of the server, so regardless of how many
configurations you find that tell you to enable it, please trust my word
here. You need to get the terminate XKB option into your keymap, that's all
that matters.

Cheers,
   Peter