F21 System Wide Change: (A)Periodic Updates to Images

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 16 20:42:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 22:58 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 22:55:21 +0200,
> >   drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> This would make sense  for non cloud images as well. Is there any
> >> reason why we have to restrict that to the cloud?
> >

> > QA resource limits.
>
> The gold image remains in place ... so we have it as a fallback.

It's still an extremely bad experience to find that Fedora provides an
'official!' updated release image, try and use it, and find it's broken.
Even if you can 'fall back' to the original image, it doesn't give you a
great impression of Fedora. (Neither, it's true, does finding the
initial image doesn't work for you and there isn't an updated one, but I
think we do a reasonable job of avoiding that happening too much, and we
do have the updates.img mechanism for more targeted handling of such
cases).

It's also not just QA resources, it's support resources. Now anyone
doing Fedora support has a new question to ask anyone who has an install
problem: "are you using the original release or one of the new ones?",
and the corresponding more complex tree of possible bugs to consider.

There's a significant value in knowing, when someone says "I'm trying to
install Fedora 20", what exactly it *is* they're trying to install. We
already have to consider whether they're doing live or non-live and what
arch they're on, in some cases, but adding a whole extra multiplying
factor to that wouldn't do anyone any favours.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey