Incompatible change in libgc with no soname bump

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sun May 18 05:34:21 UTC 2014

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Jerry James wrote:
>
>> %{_libdir}/libgc.so.1.0.3 exists in both F-20 and Rawhide, and both
>> have an soname of libgc.so.1, but the two libraries are NOT
>> compatible.  I just discovered this by accident while trying to
>> rebuild ecl for a totally different reason.  It fails like so:
>>
>> libeclmin.a(alloc_2.o): In function `init_alloc':
>> /builddir/build/BUILD/ecl-13.5.1/src/c/alloc_2.d:1091: undefined
>> reference to `GC_start_call_back'
>
> I see ecl upstream has fixed this.  I can help backport the fixes if you
> want.

I went ahead it did it (committed fixes to master branch), since I was
responsible for the breakage.  I can confirm that a patched ecl built
against gc-7.2e (from f20) continues to function after upgrade to gc-7.4.0

ecl configure stage still aborts in rawhide
checking character sequence for end of line... configure: error: Unable to
determine linefeed mode
I assume that's some sort of other rawhide'ism (doesn't occur building on
f20).

-- Rex