Self Introduction: Christopher Tubbs

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Tue May 20 08:00:54 UTC 2014

On 05/19/2014 07:51 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Christopher Tubbs. I'm a long-time user of Fedora and
> Linux, and a big fan of free (as in speech) software. I love bigdata
> and scientific computing, and consider myself a seasoned Java
> developer and Maven user.

Welcome!

> I'm currently working on Apache Accumulo as my first package for
> Fedora (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ApacheAccumulo). I'm
> also an upstream developer for Accumulo project, which helps, because
> there's a lot of patches I need to make to get it to build with the
> dependency versions available in Fedora.
>
> I'm not yet in the package maintainers group, but my FAS account is
> ctubbsii and I'm seeking a mentor (preferably one familiar with the
> Hadoop ecosystem and Java packaging) to help me get all the kinks
> worked out of my package. I'm still very new to the whole packaging
> environment in Fedora, and trying to get a handle on understanding all
> the infrastructure at Fedora needed to get things done. I definitely
> need a mentor to help me understand the packaging process and tools in
> the Fedora infrastructure (cgit, bugzilla, koji, etc.).

If you need help feel free to ask on IRC (#fedora-java or
#fedora-bigdata) or ping me directly.  (I am usually the one people come
to with Maven-related packaging questions.)

For formal sponsorship into packager group just submit a rewiew request.
 I can sponsor you if no one else does.

> My draft packaging is not yet done, but in progress here:
> https://github.com/ctubbsii/accumulo-fedora (temporary)

I had a quick look at the package and it looks good.  There are some
things that could be improved, but it's more a matter of style and best
practices rather than correctness.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat