Editing rsyslog.conf from %post

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sat May 24 02:34:43 UTC 2014

Greetings, All:

I have a bug 1083039 where basically an application logs everything
to syslog making a mess out of /var/log/messages. The logging facility
is configurable and the default is local0.

I'm toying with an idea of doing something like this in %post
 sed -e "s/cron.none[ \t]*\/var\/log\/messages/cron.none;local0.none\t\/var\/log\/messages/" -i- /etc/rsyslog.conf

However, I have a feeling that such action is ill-advised.
For example, what does happen if the package is uninstalled and
some other package logs to local0? Or what if we ever move to
a different package as part of JournalD etc.

Does anyone have a better idea off the top of his/her head?

Thanks in advance,
-- Pete