devel Digest, Vol 123, Issue 62

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroeder at computer.org
Wed May 28 02:46:47 UTC 2014

> From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
>         <devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: Self Introduction: Jeff Schroeder
>
> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 01:34:25PM -0500, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> > [4] http://serfdom.io
> > [5] http://consul.io
>
> Hi Jeff! Welcome! These look pretty interesting. Do you think they're worth
> integrating with GearD as a possible part of Fedora Atomic?
>

> --
> Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
>                                   "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"

Hi Matt,

While I don't think it should necessarily be a required dependency I think
the answer to your question is a resounding yes! Geard is fantastic
software that builds ontop of docker. There isn't a good reason for geard
to re-implement docker any more than there is for geard to re-implement
zookeeper or consul. For large multi-node deployments (1000+), I think
service discovery is a must. This is why I'm interested in it, my problems
are solved cleanly through good service discovery and I'd like to do it the
"proper" way, making Fedora / EPEL better in the process.