fedoras default cflags & clang

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Fri May 30 16:11:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 10:03 -0400, Tim St Clair wrote:
> I'm primarily referring to development compilation, not necessarily
> packaging.
>
> The default CFLAGS cause clang to fail 'out of the gate'.  Given the
> popularity rise in the compiler, and the increase # of open tickets
> upstream around this issue, I think it prudent that we address.

I don't think it's reasonable to hold Fedora hostage to clang's subset
of gcc.  I'd be fine with adding hacks to clang to accept-but-ignore
cflags it didn't know about (or in the -fstack-protector-strong case,
alias it to -fstack-protector).  But taking things out of the default
cflags that clang doesn't support isn't my favorite idea.

(I also think packages building with clang in koji should be at least
explicitly tracked, but they kinda already are, because you'll have
BuildRequires: clang{-devel}.)

- ajax