fedoras default cflags & clang

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Fri May 30 22:31:50 UTC 2014

Il 30/05/2014 11:03, Jakub Jelinek ha scritto:

>> > I think FPC (and/or FESCO) should decide on whether we want to
>> > allow/disallow using clang for official Fedora rpms.
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/847
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2012-05-14/fesco.2012-05-14-17.00.log.html

FWIW, the IRC meeting log mentioned the famous page about better clang
diagnostics.  That page is comparing clang against GCC 4.2 (Fedora 8 or so).

As of 2014, I only know two cases where clang is still better: more
complete caret diagnostics, and better recovery from invalid types
(clang provides suggestions and uses it for the rest of the compilation
to avoid cascaded error messages).

As of 2014, clang's main strength over GCC is the static analyzer, not
the diagnostics or the optimization.

Paolo