Note on 'systemd-216-9'

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 4 16:30:32 UTC 2014

An update has been submitted for systemd today:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kmod-18-4.fc21,systemd-216-9.fc21

with a fairly short description. I wanted to flag up that, in fact,
systemd-216-9 is a major change from systemd-216-8 and is not really
systemd 216 at all.

systemd-216-8 (and 216-1 through 216-5) and earlier) was more or less
identical to upstream systemd-stable 216:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd-stable/log/?h=v216-stable .
systemd "216-9" is not built from 216 at all, it is in fact systemd-217
with some particular changes (presumably intended to be the most
disruptive ones) reverted. When I dropped build-related files and
directories and documentation from the trees, did a context-free
recursive diff, and filtered out the metadata from the diff, it still
worked out at >7,000 lines worth of additions and removals between the
underlying code of 'systemd-216-8' and 'systemd-216-9'. This is a lot of
change to land between Beta and Final.

Testers, please take care to test the update thoroughly, despite the
small bump and small description it is a major change to the package.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey