Note on 'systemd-216-9'

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 4 16:56:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 17:37 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 08:30:32AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > systemd "216-9" is not built from 216 at all, it is in fact systemd-217
>
>   Why the misleading version number?

There is a comment in the spec:

# This is really closer to 217 than to 216, and it is easier to revert a few
# patches then to carry all the other patches after 216.

and a changelog note:

- Pull more changes from upstream, including post-217 bugfixes. This
  is now a bastard mix of systemd-216 and systemd-217, with some of
  the important changes in systemd 217 still reverted:
    readahead removal, timedatectl change, fq_codel as default,
    job timeouts for init and poweroff, multi-seat-x removal,
    coredumps from watchdog timeouts.

For the record, systemd-216-8 had ~588 patches.

I think the intent is that 216-8 and 216-9 be more or less the same
codebase but arrived at in different ways, but in practice there seems
to be a noticeable difference.

The diff I came up with is:

https://www.happyassassin.net/temp/systemd-2168-2169.diff

if anyone wants to check it (that version has context left in).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey