Note on 'systemd-216-9'

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Nov 4 20:20:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 08:56:40AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 17:37 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 08:30:32AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > systemd "216-9" is not built from 216 at all, it is in fact systemd-217
> >
> >   Why the misleading version number?
>
> There is a comment in the spec:
>
> # This is really closer to 217 than to 216, and it is easier to revert a few
> # patches then to carry all the other patches after 216.
>
> and a changelog note:
>
> - Pull more changes from upstream, including post-217 bugfixes. This
>   is now a bastard mix of systemd-216 and systemd-217, with some of
>   the important changes in systemd 217 still reverted:
>     readahead removal, timedatectl change, fq_codel as default,
>     job timeouts for init and poweroff, multi-seat-x removal,
>     coredumps from watchdog timeouts.
>
> For the record, systemd-216-8 had ~588 patches.
>
> I think the intent is that 216-8 and 216-9 be more or less the same
> codebase but arrived at in different ways, but in practice there seems
> to be a noticeable difference.
>
> The diff I came up with is:
>
> https://www.happyassassin.net/temp/systemd-2168-2169.diff
This diffs autogenerated content.

It also contains a rename of functions to add mac_ prefixes to
selinux functions. And a rename to hashmap functions in preparation
of for implementation changes which were done post 217 (and are
not part of this update). It is also done without -M, so catches
some renames as significant changes.

I'm frankly puzzled about the point of this exercise.

Zbyszek