Porting initramfs-tools to dracut

Saurabh Kulkarni srk892 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 18:08:26 UTC 2014

HI Andy,

Thanks for your response. No I don't need anything fancy while booting up
other than access to certain scripts/hooks which are added in
initramfs-tools directory in case of ubuntu. I'll try to see if this python
code allows me to do something like that. Also, in general, doesn't dracut
have any provision wherein we can specify such add ons? Strange..

Best,
Saurabh

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Saurabh Kulkarni <srk892 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > So I've been working on a project that requires me to have my own custom
> > initrd. The doc I'm following is specialized for ubuntu, so it makes use
> of
> > mkinitramfs to create initrd, and uses initramfs-tools/scripts and
> > initramfs-tools/hooks for serving its purpose. I tried using dracut to
> > create a ramdisk, but I cannot figure out how should I incorporate
> > additional scripts and hooks into the same. I tried extending a dracut
> > module (00bash) by adding *inst_hook cmdline 20 "path to the script" *
> but
> > that doesn't seem to help.
>
> How custom?  What are you trying to do?  Are you trying to boot in an
> environment that needs hardware-dependent drivers loaded or is the
> environment controlled enough that you don't need all that fanciness.
>
> I'm asking because this thing, while not currently intended for
> external use, can generate working initramfses very very quickly and
> with so little code that you can see what's going on in a minute or
> two:
>

> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/kernel/virtme/virtme.git/tree/virtme/mkinitramfs.py
>
> --Andy
> --