PROPOSAL: Make AppData files mandatory for applications shown in the software center

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:03:08 UTC 2014

Hi all,

It will come as no surprise to many of you, but I'm going to propose
that we only show applications in the software center in F22 when they
have an AppData file. At the moment nearly 50% of applications in
Fedora 21 ship AppData files, and the ones left over are not exactly
the award winning ones, if you know what I mean. We want the software
center to be a showcase of all the awesome applications available on
Fedora, not just a wrapper around a package installer.

I've attached a list of all the applications that would be affected by
this change. It's a long list, but a *lot* of the applications are
kinda dubious (lshw-gui anyone?).

Important points:
* Applications without appdata would still be installable on the
command line using dnf.
* Applications without appdata would still show up in the "Installed"
tab in the software center and be visible in the shell like normal
when installed.

If you see an application on the list that really shouldn't be there
as you know it ships an AppData file (e.g. subsurface ships one
upstream, but the package doesn't install it) then please let me know
and we can fix things up. Remember, this is just a proposal. I've
burnt holes in my flame-proof suit already. Comments welcome.

Richard

---

accerciser
akonadiconsole