PROPOSAL: Make AppData files mandatory for applications shown in the software center

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:05:02 UTC 2014

On 6 November 2014 14:49, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Why wouldn't we (Fedora) add an AppData file to the package ourselves
> for such exceptions?

We can, and should. I'd argue it's one of the most useful thing a
Fedora packager can do:

* Spend the 5 minutes writing the AppData file
* Spend 5 minutes taking some up to date 16:9 screenshots
* Validate the file with "appstream-util validate"
* Send these upstream
* Patch the Fedora package to include the AppData file while waiting
for an upstream tarball.

In the case where upstream is kinda hostile to Linux-only stuff (e.g.
firefox or ecplise) you can also commit the appdata file to
https://github.com/hughsie/fedora-appstream/tree/master/appdata-extra/desktop
-- although the condition of putting it here is that you've opened an
upstream bug and attached it there.

Richard