PROPOSAL: Make AppData files mandatory for applications shown in the software center

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 17:17:08 UTC 2014

Hello,

first of all sorry if I missed this earlier, I can't hardly cope with all
mails received on devel. I tried to read them all when I can.
As the maintainer of these:

bacula-console-bat
> bacula-traymonitor

I would suggest them to be removed from the software center, they are far
from "being awesome".

First of all, they don't work without a specific infrastructure in place;
they require a fully functional director, storage daemon and something to
backup. All of this is configured only through the command line with
additional packages not in the software center, and as all "enterprise
software" requires a good time to master it.

Second, since the inception of the commercial Bacula Enterprise variant,
the open source edition of these components has not seen a single commit in
years, there is almost no change in the source except for the ones required
to make it compile. All changes are now in the closed source commercial
edition. This is not the case with the complicated server/client and
command line based tools, which are regularly updated and receive new
features.

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/