Virtual network interface

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 10:39:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 10:56:19AM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is there way how to setup some virtual network inteface, which would
> always work, no matter if I use ethernet, wireles, VPN or whatever else
> network connection on background?
>
> * It is pretty annoying that every time I change my location, I have to
> change configuration of my virtual machines, just because now I am not
> connected via ethernet, but via WiFi.
> * I don't understand why my Xchat should loose connection, when I am
> switching from ethernet to WiFi (and they are both available during
> interim period).
>
> The type of network connection is just implementation detail, so why
> this does not work? If there is possible to create some virtual network
> interface, which would take all the real network connection under one
> umbrella, this should be default for Fedora Workstation.

I think bridged networking should just be the default.  In this day
and age, multiple processes inside the OS should be able to acquire an
IP address from the ethernet interface (whether wired or wireless).

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Bridged_networking_.28aka_.22shared_physical_device.22.29

Note not just VMs: There's a lot of theoretical work around having
ordinary processes have their own IPv6 address.

> Additional feature could be that WiFi goes down when Ethernet is
> available etc. This functionality has been available in Lenovo's Access
> Connection tools at least 8 years ago as far as I remember and I greatly
> missing it.

Agreed.  This is particularly annoying when I use my laptop docking
station (which has wired gigE) but basically am forced to stick with
slow wifi because otherwise everything breaks.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v