Virtual network interface

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sat Nov 8 10:31:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 03:37:53PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> > * I don't understand why my Xchat should loose connection, when I am
> > switching from ethernet to WiFi (and they are both available during
> > interim period).
>
> For this use case you want to run IRC over SCTP, so that you can keep
> the connection open when you change IP addresses. The best that can be
> done with TCP is to automatically reconnect from the new IP address
> when the old TCP connection breaks.

  Why different address?  If this the same machine, it would be much easier
just to configure DHCP to give the same IPv4 for both wifi and wired interface.
  IPv6 stateless configured addresses are problematic, of course.

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray