Virtual network interface

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sat Nov 8 13:23:46 UTC 2014

Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 03:37:53PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
>> Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > * I don't understand why my Xchat should loose connection, when I
>> > am switching from ethernet to WiFi (and they are both available
>> > during interim period).
>>
>> For this use case you want to run IRC over SCTP, so that you can keep
>> the connection open when you change IP addresses. The best that can
>> be done with TCP is to automatically reconnect from the new IP
>> address when the old TCP connection breaks.
>
>  Why different address?  If this the same machine, it would be much
> easier
>just to configure DHCP to give the same IPv4 for both wifi and wired
>interface.

That works only for the special case where you're moving around inside
an office (or a geek's home) where the wired and wireless networks
share an IP address range. If you're moving between your home, your
office, public hotspots, trains and whatnot, then there's no way you'll
be able to keep the same IP address without workarounds like tunneling.
(Well I suppose you could just use an LTE connection all the time, but
Vít's question was about switching network connections.)

>  IPv6 stateless configured addresses are problematic, of course.

If you have DHCP then you can have DHCPv6 too. IPv6 has the potential
to be less problematic than IPv4 because it doesn't need address
translation. I just hope people aren't so accustomed to being crippled
by address translation that they start translating IPv6 addresses
everywhere by habit.

--
Björn Persson