PROPOSAL: Make AppData files mandatory for applications shown in the software center

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Nov 9 23:11:13 UTC 2014

Richard Hughes wrote:
> It will come as no surprise to many of you, but I'm going to propose
> that we only show applications in the software center in F22 when they
> have an AppData file. At the moment nearly 50% of applications in
> Fedora 21 ship AppData files, and the ones left over are not exactly
> the award winning ones, if you know what I mean. We want the software
> center to be a showcase of all the awesome applications available on
> Fedora, not just a wrapper around a package installer.

I oppose this kind of censorship, especially because you are implementing it
at the point of AppStream data generation, and thus your arbitrary policy
decisions do not affect only the GNOME Software Center, but also any other
consumer of the AppStream data, where those requirements might not make any
sense whatsoever.

Even the already existing rules (e.g., no Qt 3 or Tcl/Tk applications) make
us omit useful applications from the AppStream data.

        Kevin Kofler