Metacity and GNOME Flashback

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 05:22:32 UTC 2014

Hi Richard,

I noticed that in June you updated Metacity to 3.12.0 to Fedora. Thank
you for doing so.
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/metacity.git/log/?h=f21

As you may know, the upstream GNOME Flashback project is now
maintaining Metacity and several other components.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback

I would like to package all of GNOME Flashback and I was wondering if
you had any intention of doing so. if not, I'm curious if there is a
use case for Metacity outside of a GNOME Flashback session and if you
(or anyone else) have any advice.

The GNOME Flashback components:
gnome-applets (dead package in fedora)
gnome-flashback (not in fedora)
gnome-panel (dead package in fedora)
metacity
notification-daemon (still in fedora, but last updated 2012-09-04)

The stable release tarballs are under here:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/

And note that I have been able to run GNOME Flashback on Fedora 21 via JHBuild:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback/JHBuild/3.16

-Mike