Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Christopher ctubbsii-fedora at apache.org
Sun Nov 16 03:18:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Johannes Lips <johannes.lips at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii-fedora at apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Rejy M Cyriac <rcyriac at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Disabling the ADs feature from firefox, if that is possible, would be
>>> the right move for Fedora.
>>>
>>> We also could lobby mozilla to re-consider this decision.
>>>

>> I don't really understand the issue at all. We also don't have any
> problems offering google or any other search engine with our default
> configuration in firefox. But if a truly open-source foundation implements
> something to generate some revenue, which will most probably help the
> development of open source software, it suddenly becomes a big deal?

I think the main difference is that it collects personal data and gives
that information to for-profit companies, as a default configuration,
without a user first "opting in" to that sort of data sharing. It is
supposedly sanitized of user-identifying information, but a user should be
given the option of deciding whether that sanitization is sufficient for
them. Yes, Mozilla is "open source", but that's not the same as "free
software" in every sense of the word, and people are wanting more from
their free software, such as better control over their personal data, and
the idea of privacy is working its way into some definitions of "free".

I don't necessarily see any reason to lobby Mozilla to change their
decision... I think it's fine for them to do what they are doing. They
might be welcome to a suggestion to include an installer/download option to
give their direct download users some better controls over this feature (if
they haven't done so already). But for Fedora, I think it makes sense to
disable it by default, and if that is done, I don't see any issue. If
Mozilla had a "first use" setup option to control this feature, then I
would even say that it's not needed for Fedora to even bother doing
anything. So, maybe that's something that could be brought up with Mozilla
(if it doesn't already exist).