Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Abdur-Rahman Morgan arm at tearms.org
Mon Nov 17 04:49:55 UTC 2014

Hi,

I just wanted to make a recommendation based on a few comments that were
made thus far.

On 11/16/2014 11:11 PM, Christopher wrote:
> [...]
>      >
>     http://www.pcworld.com/article/2848017/how-to-get-rid-of-firefoxs-new-ads-on-the-new-tab-page.html
>      >
>      >     I think the best way is to ship Firefox as is, if somebody
>     doesn't
>      >     want to help the open source project generating some revenue
>     using
>      >     these ads, he can disable them.
>      >
>      >
>      > The framing of the concerns expressed here as people not wanting to
>      > contribute back and help an open source project with revenue (through
>      > this mechanism or otherwise), does not reflect the concerns
>     raised. The
>      > concerns raised are that the default configuration is an
>     "opt-out" vs.
>      > "opt-in" model of Firefox issuing network calls back to Mozilla's
>      > servers, and Fedora's user base expects "opt-in" for these sorts of
>      > things. It's not about not being willing to help the project
>     out... it's
>      > about not being able to vet that method of helping out prior to it
>      > taking place.
>      >
>      >
>      >     When you use Google search engine in any browser, it is
>     collecting
>      >     more data than this feature in Firefox.
>      >
>      >
>      > This doesn't seem relevant to this discussion, unless Fedora browsers
>      > are automatically, and without the user's explicit knowledge or
>      > permission, navigating to Google's search engine, which (AFAICT) they
>      > are not.
>
>     Same happens with these tiles. No data is sent back to Mozilla unless
>     you *choose* to click one of the promoted tiles.
>

> First, that's not quite true. Firefox does a call home first, where
> Mozilla will then determine your location from your IP (and possibly
> other data presented to them in the future), in order to present you
> with ads. As I understand it, it will do this the first time you open a
> new tab, before you even navigate to any site (such as about:config).
>
> Second, a user can easily accidentally click on ad, since it is mixed
> among other tiles, with the user's browsing habits. A user may recognize
> their error pretty quickly, but the damage will have already been done,
> as their data will have already been sent. Even if a user intentionally
> clicks on one of these tiled ads, this is a new kind of ad for a large
> user base... and expectations about the implications of clicking on a
> user's privacy are not yet established. A user who intentionally clicks
> on these may not be willing to accept these implications. Hence, the
> preference for an informed "opt-in" (or at the very least, an early,
> loud opportunity to "opt-out"... but that's hard to do in Fedora
> packaging if it's not already in upstream).

Is it possible to recommend GNU IceCat instead:

Description : GNUZilla Icecat is a fully-free fork of Mozilla Firefox.
             : Three extensions are included to this version of IceCat:
             :
             : * GNU LibreJS
             : * The IceCat Privacy Extension
             : * IceCat Tweaks

GNU LibreJS for most Fedora users might be more than what most people
expect.

The privacy extension along with DuckDuckGo provides anonymity for
searches.

As add-ons one or all these can be disabled by the user.

Since it is recently added to Fedora and version 31 was recently updated
from version 24, why not update the package for Fedora 21 and promote it
instead since it offers an experience that is similar to Firefox users
may expect while promoting privacy in contrast to the recent version of
Firefox being debated.

Enjoy your day ahead,

Abdur-Rahman Morgan