Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 17 10:05:35 UTC 2014

On 11/17/2014 11:47 AM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 11:37 +0200, Nikos Roussos wrote:
>> I don't consider my IP address a call to home. [...] Even Gnome checks my
>> IP's location to fix my timezone.
>
> Not by default, you have to enable this explicitly.

True, as you also have to explicitly click a tile to send data to
Mozilla. But the main point here was that your IP (the only thing
Firefox gets before you click anything) is not sensitive data.

>>> Second, a user can easily accidentally click on ad, since it is mixed
>>> among other tiles, with the user's browsing habits.
>>
>> And a user may accidentally start searching on the Google search box
>> before she realizes that she sends data to Google "as she types" (that's
>> how you get recommendations).
>
> Indeed, this is in Firefox though, which is the application people are
> saying they'd like to change, so it stops doing that without explicit
> user opt-in.

No. We are talking about the tiles. I didn't see anyone suggesting we
remove Google search. It's like the tiles feature crossed a line, which
is far from truth.

>> Again, this thing we discuss is already happening on Gnome Shell. Type
>> "twitter" on your Gnome's search box.
>
> I'm pretty confident that no network query is done when you search for
> that, and that instead GNOME Software searches in its local metadata
> cache.

I'm talking about the "advertisement" part. Some people seem to be
bothered by this alone. Tiles feature indeed promotes some websites, but
we already do that.

> All examples you have given of such opt-out network calls are either in
> Firefox or incorrect.
>
> So maybe there is a need to change something in the Firefox default
> configuration after all? :)

I'm not much in favor of that, since that's the way this open source
project gets revenues, but that could be indeed a first step. And I
don't think we'll have any problems with the branding. But changing
default browser is a totally different discussion.