Enable tapping by default

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 18 09:29:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 15:50 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Things are not black and white there is a "disable touchpad while typing"
> > option which would solve your problem while not making the impression that
> > something is broken like it is now.
>
> Possibly, but there is also the risk of accidentally tapping when you
> only want to move the pointer but your finger happens to tremble a
> little. (That's not about Parkinson's disease. Even to perfectly healthy
> people it's difficult to hold absolutely still.)
>
> Does anyone care to present some evidence showing that this works well
> for people in general? Note that I'm not against changing this default.
> I'm against changing it based on nothing but a baseless belief that it
> won't bother people.
>
> Björn Persson

I have dry fingers... All the time.  Tap to click drives me insane, as
well as some of the socalled gesture enhancements.  Capacitive screens
also go nuts because dry fingers generate more static electricity and
many devices simply do not have sufficient hysterysis to manage to
differentiate close to touch, or static from real contact.

I absolutely hate anything that makes the actual mechanical interface
have no sense, and not knowing that tap to click is on is really
frustrating, even if you can find the bit to turn it off.
(system/controls, utilities/???, system/settings???  Moreover even if it
can be turned off, how in the heck do you expect the user to be able to
track down every little setting that modernsystems come up with?

At some point we need to get one window where you can list and edit
every single setting in one place, but who exactly will take on that
particulary odious task?

My own setting require larger fonts with out serifs, bold, 16 point or
bigger (eyes going), louder sounds with an equalizer to help make up for
the limited sound profiles in the hearing aids I can afford,  And how
about a real tactile keyboard that has a real nice mechanical feel and
click?  A mouse that really tracks where you tell it to go directly???
or some other device.... By the way, where is my 3d pointer and 3d
screen with all the above, and don't skimp on the brightness either,
sonny.

Yeah, I'm an old fart, only type about 320 words perminute if I get the
right settings, keyboard, and a key scanner that can keep up without
turning my letters around.

Clambering down from my soap box, now.