Join to Mozilla Location Service in Fedora

Mustafa Muhammad mustafaa.alhamdaani at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:30:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Martin Stransky wrote:
>> as you may know [0] Firefox in Fedora [1] is using Mozilla Location
>> service [2] as a location provider instead of the Google one.
>>
>> I'd like to ask you to join the project, install the Mozilla Stumbler
>> application [3] and help to improve the location accuracy.
>
> The Mozilla Location database is proprietary, and thus we should neither
> contribute nor encourage contributing to it, but instead support one or both
> of the following projects:
> http://www.openwlanmap.org/
> http://www.openbmap.org/
>
>         Kevin Kofler

>From their FAQ [1]
"While we try to make the service as open as possible, the underlying
data contains personally identifiable information from both the users
uploading data to us and from the owners of WiFi devices."
They care about their clients' privacy, just like we do.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/CloudServices/Location/FAQ#Can_I_download_the_entire_raw_database.3F