Enable tapping by default

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 10:59:13 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Björn Persson <bjorn at rombobjörn.se> wrote:
> > drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Things are not black and white there is a "disable touchpad while typing"
> >> option which would solve your problem while not making the impression that
> >> something is broken like it is now.
> >
> > Possibly, but there is also the risk of accidentally tapping when you
> > only want to move the pointer but your finger happens to tremble a
> > little. (That's not about Parkinson's disease. Even to perfectly healthy
> > people it's difficult to hold absolutely still.)
> >
> > Does anyone care to present some evidence showing that this works well
> > for people in general? Note that I'm not against changing this default.
> > I'm against changing it based on nothing but a baseless belief that it
> > won't bother people.
>
> I don't want to change this because I believe it doesn't bother
> people, but because almost every other OS and Linux distribution have
> it enabled by default,

No they don't. Specific drivers for specific touchpads for specific hardware
will have tap-to-click enabled. This is usually because an engineer made the
decision.

> and when people try to use Fedora and they
> can't tap to click, they have the impression that this is broken,
> Linux is bad, can't handle a touchpad right.

No, they usually figure out that they need to enable tapping.

> By the way, "Disable touchpad when writing" is enabled by default, so
> this should not affect typing.

No, it's not enabled by default.

Tap-to-click is disabled because:
1) it confuses users who aren't used to tap-to-click, or don't use tap-to-click
2) it's especially bad on awful touchpads
3) most PC touchpads are awful (or awfully configured)

Search for "tap-to-click" in the gnome-settings-daemon bugzilla product at
https://bugzilla.gnome.org for more thorough explanations.

In short, the default has already been decided upon.

Cheers