Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 18 13:28:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 15:12 +0200, Nikos Roussos wrote:

> >> That's irrelevant. Paid or not, promoting websites through tiles or
> >> gnome-shell is the same form of advertisement.
> >
> > Money is not irrelevant.  Paid advertising is how we wound up with
> > pop-ups, hover ads, etc.  The question is whether or not we can trust
> > Mozilla to steer clear of such things.  So far there seems to be no
> > reason to trust Mozilla -- the ads are opt-out, they only sometimes
> > respect DNT, and they are being pushed despite the backlash from
> > Mozilla's community.
>
> This is a moral judgment, so it's irrelevant for making a policy
> decision (from Fedora's point of view).

As a community, we can certainly decide to base our policies on moral
judgments we make, just as we can decide to base them on technical
judgments. (or even a mix of both)

For example, we don't allow nonfree software in Fedora, and I for one
certainly hope it is not **entirely** a technical decision.

--
Mathieu