Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Martin Stransky stransky at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 14:07:37 UTC 2014

On 11/17/2014 02:15 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Well, how to put it ... Mozilla.com's role in fedora has many times been
>> subject to controvercies, but doubts have always been ruled ;)
>
> They always get special exceptions for any and all Fedora policies that
> upstream does not want to comply with, with the excuse that otherwise we
> might lose the right to use the "Firefox" name (as if that were a
> catastrophe – Debian has been doing fine with "Iceweasel"). I'm totally fed
> up of that kind of unfair privileged treatment that NO other package in
> Fedora is getting.

I don't understand what are you talking about. Firefox in Fedora tries
to carry minimal amount of patches because it's difficult to maintain
those patches and rebase/update them with each Firefox release. If we
need any modification in Fedora we ship it.

All active Firefox development happens upstream anyway (gtk3 port,
libnotify support recently) so Fedora does not need any extra patches,
we get them from upstream anyway.

If there's any issue which breaks Fedora rules, please file a bug and
ideally add a patch for it. I'll gladly help you to fix any issue. I
know only about some bundled libraries, but we don't have a fix for that
and there are more pressing issues to fix.

ma.