Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Tomas Radej tradej at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 17:25:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 11/18/2014 05:46 PM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Tomas Radej <tradej at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe M$ made "good experience" with ballot screen, may be we should
>>> implement something similar in open source spirit ;)
>>>

>> If we do not want Firefox as default, this seems to be much better option
>> than just replacing it with a specific one IMHO.
>

> The "ballot screen" was required to be developed by Microsoft as part of
> the settlement of the anti-trust case with the EU.  Mozilla's Firefox ads
> don't even begin to approach what Microsoft was doing.  We don't need a

Nobody said we'd do it for the same reason.

> "default-o-matic" program where people would end up choosing Firefox
> anyway.  If we really wanted to provide a free alternative to Firefox, we'd
> get Chromium working - it is really the only viable alternative.

While I concur that there's not much alternative to Firefox, I think in
this context, choosing Chromium is going out of the frying pan and into
the fire. I might have been doing it wrong, but even after I disabled
every single call-home thing I could, wireshark still detected a few
packets sent to Google servers upon Chromium starting, whereas with
Firefox, nothing was sent at all until I started typing in the address bar.

Additionally, the "Google way" of open source development is arguably
less-than-stellar, as illustrated in [1], and some of the bugs that
prevent Chromium to be present in the mainline Fedora repositories have
been open since 2009 without much progress (listed as blockers for [2]).

Based on the aforementioned, I think it's infinitely easier to fix
Firefox than push for Chromium.

Tomas Radej

[1]
http://ostatic.com/blog/making-projects-easier-to-package-why-chromium-isnt-in-fedora