Enable tapping by default

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 18 20:53:53 UTC 2014

Mustafa Muhammad wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Björn Persson <bjorn at rombobjörn.se>
>>> wrote:
>>> By the way, "Disable touchpad when writing" is enabled by default, so
>>> this should not affect typing.
>>
>> No, it's not enabled by default.
>
> It is enabled here, I am using F21 KDE beta and "Disable touchpad when
> writing" is enabled by default.

In the still-current traditional X11 world (this will change with libinput,
i.e. with the Wayland transition), "Disable touchpad while typing" is not
implemented in the driver, but in a session service owned by the desktop
environment. Therefore, there can be different defaults for that particular
option in different desktop environments. Bastien Nocera was speaking for
gnome-settings-daemon in GNOME, where the option is off by default, whereas
the latest kcm_touchpad in KDE Plasma enables it by default. (Previous
versions of kcm_touchpad did not even support the option at all, it was
present in the dialog, but always grayed out because the session service was
not implemented.)

Note that this applies ONLY to that "Disable touchpad while typing" option.
The other settings (including tapping) ARE owned by the driver.

        Kevin Kofler