Enable tapping by default

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 21:57:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:02:10PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> do you right-click? So I don't expect this to be a common case, except maybe
> in Apple's one-button land).

Apple also disables tap-to-click by default. So if it's true that users
expect that to be enabled those expectations must've been set somewhere
else.

Some more anecdata:
Personally, I don't like tap-to-click but know perfectly well how to
deal with it (by disabling all touchpad functionality in the firmware
and use a trackpoint, like all self-respecting people do). So as far as
I'm concerned, the default doesn't matter.

Some family members, though, mostly use their laptop with an external
mouse (i.e. not consciously using the touchpad at all). Until I showed
them that tap-to-click is a thing and can be disabled, they were
experiencing spurious quirks and had no idea what was causing them,
thinking they maybe hit a wrong key on the keyboard by accident or that
there's something wrong with their device or software setup. I think the
current Fedora default is the right thing to do.