Enable tapping by default

Jaroslav Nahorny jaroslav at hackerspace.pl
Tue Nov 18 21:59:24 UTC 2014

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:

> Erik Schilling wrote:
>> Over the time I just got used to hitting the special button...
>
> And that's what that "special button" is for. :-)
>
> If the touchpad has physical buttons (or physically-drawn "virtual
> buttons"), why do users even expect tapping to produce a click? The finger
> area is for moving, the buttons are for clicking.

For speed sake. You don't have to move your fingers. It's like with the
scroll-wheel on a mouse. Why do you need a scroll wheel? You could as
well just point the mouse to the scroll marker on right side of the
window, click LMB and move the mouse. It's doable. Why do you need a
scroll-wheel then. Or use PgUp / PgDown keys on your keyboard.

Furthermore, why a mouse / touchpad at all? You can use keyboard for
navigation.

So those are personal preferences. One person prefers scroll-wheel, the
other PgUp / PgDown keys. The thing is, a touchpad is a piece of
hardware. With some features built-in. And we are by default disabling a
feature this device offers out of the box.

I know it's a matter of preferences. Exactly like the way you mount a
roll of toilet paper on a wall
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation).

I know some people hate this feature (tapping) and some love it. But I
think, if the device have some capability (feature) it shouldn't be
disabled by default.

--
jaroslav