Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at mozillausa.org
Wed Nov 19 08:11:04 UTC 2014

Hello Free Software Friends,

I want to encourage the Fedora Community to think carefully about making
a switch
to another browser as the default in Fedora. I would not get hung up on
these tiles
(Ads) too much and remember they are necessary in order for Mozilla to
continue
building Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey, Firefox OS and supporting the
very literally
hundreds of movements and thousands of events it does each year.

But that all aside I hope you will weigh whether the alternatives will
provider your users
any better of an experience in terms of Stability, Performance, Privacy
or Trust.

I think it will be difficult to find an alternative that offers what
Firefox does to your
users and frankly I think you will have a fair amount of users that will
be upset that
you switched the default on them. Sure they can still install Firefox
but the fact is
Fedora users come to expect Firefox to be the default much like they
expect Gnome
to be the default. (Also remember there are very likely thousands of
Mozilla Contributors that use Fedora)

Whatever your decision have a good release cycle and keep on building that
awesome free software!

--
Benjamin Kerensa
http://benjaminkerensa.com