Fedora scientific packaging

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 19:32:43 UTC 2014

Hello,

Some time ago I started working on packaging Salome, the platform for
numerical simulation. As always, time is a limited resource, and things
kinda stalled after hitting a few issues here and there, despite most of
the work being done. Now, with Jiri Kastner joining the effort, we
decided that it would be nice to attempt to make the effort of packaging
scientific packages for Fedora in general more public, in particular
considering the scientific-spin effort [1].
Many of the larger scientific packages tend to be very complex and their
build systems occasionally somewhat fragile... So getting more
interested people involved would likely increase the chances of the
efforts succeeding.

That said, there is now a github repo which contains the
work-in-progress stuff for packaging Salome (and some initial OpenFOAM
work) here [2]. People interested in joining these efforts or sharing
initial work on other scientific packages are very welcome to join the
github project.

Best,
Sandro

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scientific_Spin