Fedora scientific packaging

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sat Nov 22 06:22:04 UTC 2014

I think the Fedora policy requires more of a commitment from maintainers
than I can offer. In any event, I know RStudio Server can be built from
source on Fedora and that it works but it needs a lot of detailed attention
to turn it into something that will make it into a release. It has a few
dependencies - gwt, for one - that aren't in Fedora so their source needs
to be packaged in the source RPM.

There's also the question of upstream - they have a build process that
makes usable binaries for openSUSE and Fedora but only support the server
on Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL and CentOS. I did get them to fix some issues when
their run-time dependencies messed up a Fedora R upgrade, but I don't know
if they'd actively participate in a distro packaging effort. They'd need to
be asked.

All that said, this is a good time to start such a project, since Fedora 21
is about two weeks away from release. I have a COPR project opened but
haven't put anything in it yet -
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/znmeb/rstudio/

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Suchakra <suchakra at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > What do you say, Ed?  If I get the package review done, will you help
> with
> > bugs and maintenance?
> >
> > --Pete
>
> I am using RStudio actively on Fedora using the rpm they provide.
> Though it works just about satisfactorily for me standalone,  it would
> really be nice to have it in our repos. I can help in testing/bugs and
> occasional maintenance.
>
> --
> Suchakra
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStickOverview

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.