Abotu setting 'PermitRootLogin=no' in sshd_config

P J P pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in
Tue Nov 25 17:05:59 UTC 2014

  Hi,

> On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 10:00 PM, Gabriel Ramirez wrote:
> I have a server which only runs several VM's with specific services,  no
> need user accounts in the host or in the VM's,
>
> so you propose when I reiinstall any of them create a user account in
> each of them, that will cause boot the first time change to permit root
> login and delete the *forced* user account
>
> and the server is hosted remotely, so if anything is wrong with it I can
> only access via ssh so this *feature change* is no simple,

  True, it is complex.

Maybe we could have an option in firstboot(and other such places) by which user can override the default non-root account creation. Ie. Say a user is prompted to create non-root user account; He/she can choose to override it and not create one. In such workflow, he/she is warned about the possible lockout situation and duly advised to explicitly enable remote root login in sshd_config(5).

(Just a thought)
---
Regards
   -Prasad